Why me? are seeking a Communications Intern to support and promote their work.
They are looking for someone reliable, willing to learn and enthusiastic about Why me?’s mission.
In return, the post-holder will get experience working in communications at an organisation working hard to transform the criminal justice system. They hope that this experience will help them to pursue a career in a related field.
Why Me? are a small but growing team, with a positive working culture where everyone works hard and supports one another. They are passionate about making a positive change to the criminal justice system and transforming lives through Restorative Justice.
All staff and volunteers are required to register with the Disclosure and Barring Service (Why me? will organise) and to sign a confidentiality agreement. In addition, two references will be requested before you start.
Why me? is an Equal Opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of race (including nationality and ethnic origin), gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
- To support and contribute to Why me?’s social media accounts.
- To support the design and writing of Why me?’s weekly newsletter.
- To write blogs for the Why me? website.
- To monitor analytics for the Why me? website and twitter.
- To support in making changes to the Why me? website.
- To support in the continued development of Why me?’s communications strategy.
- To support and help create video content for Why me? website and social media.
- To support the organisation and marketing of Why me?’s events.
To contribute to editing and proofreading Why me?’s policy papers.
- To undertake administrative tasks such as updating databases, and creating spreadsheets of relevant contacts.
- To design graphics to promote our projects, findings and events.
- To promote our work on making Restorative Justice more accessible to people who have English as an Additional Language.
- To cooperate and communicate with Why me? staff, volunteers, ambassadors and trustees.
- To report on progress as required.
- To support the Campaigns and Communications Manager with other duties when required.
Essential (If you do not meet these criteria, you will not be a good fit for this role).
- To have a demonstrable interest in criminal justice and Restorative Justice.
- To be sympathetic towards Why me?’s aims, values and objectives
- To speak and write fluent English, including good spelling and grammar.
- To be a good writer.
- To have an ability to work well as part of a team, both remotely and in an office environment.
- To have a flexible and can-do attitude
Other positive skills and experience
(Having these qualities may help your application, but you could still be a great candidate without having some/all of them).
- Experience of basic video editing.
- Personal or professional experience with social media: Especially LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter.
- Experience of communicating with audiences from varied backgrounds.
- A degree in a relevant field.
- Experience working or volunteering within the criminal justice system.
- Language skills and/or experience working with people who have English as an Additional Language.
Position | Communications Internship
Location | The postholder will work primarily from the Why Me? offices in central London, subject to the latest COVID-19 regulations. Home working, and other arrangements can be discussed to suit both parties.
Hours | Standard working hours are 9am until 5pm, with some flexibility available
Salary | £19,747 (London Living Wage)
Additional Benefits: You can pay either 4% or 5% pension, and we will match either
Application pack and guidance is available here
Send a CV and covering letter, maximum two pages each, addressing the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org . The subject line should be “Application for Communications Internship”.
Closing Date: 9 June 2021
Interviews are planned for 15 June 2021