How to offer Restorative Justice

This event will help professionals in the justice system raise Restorative Justice in the most effective way, enabling victims of crime and offenders to make informed decisions about whether they want to take part.

The Victims’ Code of Practice entitles victims of crime to information about Restorative Justice in their area and how to access it. But only 5.5% of victims with a known offender recall being given this opportunity. What is happening to the other 94.5%?

Some victims and offenders will never have been told about Restorative Justice, while others will have been given information by police, victim support staff or prison staff, but not at the right time. Perhaps Restorative Justice was mentioned in a leaflet they haven’t read? Perhaps it was mentioned but they weren’t in the frame of mind to understand or consider it.

How the offer is made can make an enormous difference to whether someone considers Restorative Justice, or appreciates the ways in which it could help them. But many professionals do not feel comfortable or confident about the best way to raise the subject, and have uncertainties about discussing Restorative Justice in certain circumstances.

This event will help you understand more about how to make the offer of Restorative Justice with the people that you work with.

During this learning seminar you will:

  • Learn how to recognise when someone might be ready for Restorative Justice.
  • Hear from one of our Restorative Justice Ambassadors about good practice in making the offer.
  • Understand how the offer can be made using the Virtual Conferencing method, without using the term ‘Restorative Justice’. Breakout rooms will discuss how this method can be applied in the adult and youth justice sectors.
  • Have the opportunity to practice new skills in making the Restorative Justice offer.

Who should attend:

  • Restorative Justice practitioners working in both the adult and youth sectors.
  • Staff and volunteers working with victims of crime and people who have offended, including victim support workers, police officers, community offender managers, prisoner offender managers, victim liaison officers, witness care officers and case managers working in youth justice.
  • Professionals working in specialist organisations such as substance misuse workers, housing officers and those supporting survivors of domestic/sexual abuse.

The seminar will include a brief introduction to Restorative Justice but it will be helpful if attendees have a basic understanding of Restorative Justice.

The seminar will be delivered online using Microsoft Teams.

EVENT DATES

29 September 2021 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm

Online via Microsoft Teams.

EVENT FEES

Fees: £85

Places are limited to 25. If you can’t make the date or the event is full, please email Why me? on info@why-me.org to arrange another seminar. This event can be run for your team or organisation.

BOOKING INFORMATION

CLICK HERE TO BOOK YOUR PLACE

CONTACT INFORMATION

Contact Name | Sula Blankenberg

Email | sula.blankenberg@why-me.org

 

This event is being hosted by an RJC member organisation. It is not delivered by, or on behalf of, the RJC.

 
When
29 Sep 2021 10:00am through  1:00 PM
Location
ONLINE EVENT - MS Teams